Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ants go marching by...

So, we got back from vacation to find a small colony of ants crawling from our downstairs bathroom vent. Cute little guys until you find them carrying a piece of waffle Toby had thrown from his highchair. I asked Davin to spray the bathroom perimeter and didn't think much of it. Until...I hear Isaac and Ethan plotting downstairs. When I get there it was already too late. Their bright idea was to FEED the ants some sugar!!! Ethan had gone to the pantry, carried a cup full of sugar to the bathroom (all this under Isaac's instructions, he explained later). So, I made Isaac sweep up all the sugar in the bathroom and forbade them from feeding this pest ever again.
You see, I have to explain, we've purchased an ant colony last year which is a "little city" with clear tunnels to observe ants while we were doing a unit study on ants. The major problem with that was that we had to order the ants and they sent them to us in the mail and all 3 TIMES they sent them to us, there were only about 5 to 10 survivors in the tube. So, we never really had ants in the city and my sweet children were trying to feed the ones coming out of the bathroom so they could capture them and put them in the "ant city".
Well, back to the bathroom, wait a couple of hours, walk by there again and SCREAM like a little girl! The few ants that were coming out of the vent had multiplied by uh....1,000!!!
So, back to the interrogation mode. Sat my two boys down and asked how much sugar had they put on the bathroom floor?? They answered "No, Mom, we didn't put it on the floor, we poured the whole cup IN the vent." (SCREAM like a little girl again and wait for Dad to come home and deal with this one).

5 comments:

Erica said...

Oh my goodness!!! Honestly, I'm laughing and grossing out at the same time! Well, those ants are happy little hyper ones now! I HATE ants! Once they find their way into the house, it's so hard to get them OUT! Have fun with that one. Lock on the pantry??? How is Toby???

Priscila said...

Yup, lock already IS on the pantry door. But that wouldn't stop "Spidey" from climbing up the counter and clinging to the wall to reach the lock.

Toby is fine so far. I'm still keeping a close eye on him for that nasty foot-hand-mouth disease he was exposed to last week.

Stephanie said...

Ahhhhh ick, I hate ants!
We have banana ants in our dining room every once in a while (they are tiny and smell when you squish them) and ICK, they make my skin crawl.

So what did you end up doing to the vent?

Stephanie said...

Oh and I forgot to say that I love the song too LOL!

Tami said...

Oh my word Priscila!! That is horrible. I just told Matt because he loves to hear Isaac stories. He got a good chuckle out of this one!