Monday, July 21, 2008

Isn't it too soon for this?

What is it with boys and their obsession to grow up?? At least 2 of mine have this.
Last week while attempting to clean Ethan's room with him, we ran across a piece of paper that had this written in crayon: "I WISH I WAS SEVN". It was his little treasure, his secret wish and he couldn't part with it even though the paper was torn and had something else on the other side.

And today while shopping for a new toothbrush for Gabe at Wal-Mart, Isaac decided he wanted to be like Zach (a teenage neighbor) and sprayed a revolting amount of Axe deodorant on his baseball cap. All right behind my back, which I mistakenly turned for 3.5 seconds. The kid stunk!!! And so did that whole aisle.

I'm beginning to think that in my effort to keep their innocence, I've made them wish they were older. :(

Which brings me to ask why can't it be like it was in the 50's or even the 80's when I grew up and it was safe to play out with your friends until it turned dark outside? I guess that's a question for another post.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't get me started on this one! I think you are doing just fine, I think wanting to be older is a natural part of the human condition - wanting "more", at least til you turn 23! That was my magic age that I'd like to be forever. Not because of what life was like but because it's just a nice cute number, I was definitely young and my tummy was in much better shape!

As for your last question - why? I don't know. But I'd like to know if anyone is going to let their friends have slumber parties and playdates like we did? My mom often hardly knew the mom of my friends at all, just a quick conversation. Let alone, knew the dad, knew if they had firearms, or had looked them up on watchdog.org (oooh, now I am sounding paranoid, but these are our babies we are talking about!)

Oh a funny thing Averi said a while back when Jeremy let her stay up late and told her she was acting much older than her age...she came and told me, "Mommy, daddy said I am acting older than my age; I am acting like a 67 year old!" In her mind that sounded good - if only she knew!

Erica said...

Maybe we should all move somewhere all alone so our kids can play til dark, slumber parties, no internet (for them anyways!), no cell phones (again, for them not us!!!), just fun and innocence!!! I'd be up for it! =)

Priscila said...

YES!!! Anyone up for our version of "The Village"? ...Oh, I wish!

Stephanie said...

I have been saying for YEARS that I wanted to live on a commune somewhere in the country with a bunch of other belivers with kids the same age as mine.

We could all meet together in the "common area" for meals in the summer and have a vegtable garden we all tended to. Oooh and cows... we could have cows!
(see I have already thought this all out LOL)

Anonymous said...

Sounds good - I will make our butter since I just got a new mixer! :)

Priscila said...

Yes! And Davin will cook for everyone with his new Kitchen Aid Food Processor. oooh, and make all the birthday cakes with the help of Willow's mixer (that thing is cool!).
And we'll have goats too (they make for great lawn-mowers and cheese and milk, of course!)

Erica said...

And....LOTS AND LOTS OF FLOWERS!!!! And, how about NO dogs? Mine loves to eat my flowers or LAY on top of them....stupid dog!!! =)

Themorrisbunch said...

You guys are too funny.
Don't you wish there was such a place?

Melody said...

I'll bring the chickens!! :)

Mel